Know your options for school holiday healthcare

  • 14 February 2019


Local doctors are urging parents to think about the best place to go if their children need urgent medical help over the half-term holidays.

Services including minor injuries units in Bristol, Clevedon and Yate, the GP out-of-hours service and NHS 111 are all available during school holidays and offer fast local treatment and advice without the need for a trip to A&E.

Local pharmacists can also help with very minor ailments as well as guidance on managing long-term conditions.

Dr Jonathan Hayes, local GP and clinical chair at Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said: 

Most people enjoy school holidays without any mishaps but if you do need urgent help for your child, please take a minute to consider your options.

For minor injuries like sprains, strains, cuts and broken bones your local minor injuries unit is always likely to be your best bet for fast, local care. Most of the time you can walk in off the street without needing an appointment and they can usually see you much more quickly than A&E.

And if you need urgent medical advice fast, or aren’t sure where to go, remember that the NHS 111 service is available around the clock.

Pharmacists can help too with very minor ailments or injuries. They’re your local healthcare expert on the high street and there are always some open late and over the weekends. Many offer a private consulting room and of course you don’t need an appointment.