NHS 111

111 is the NHS non-emergency helpline for when you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

NHS 111 is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year and is free to call from your landline or mobile phone.

Using 111 will help you get the right care, first time, and can save you time, effort and unnecessary journeys.

NHS111 is suitable for patients who are unsure where to go for medical advice or for patients with urgent health conditions that can’t wait until their daytime GP surgery is open and available to help. It identifies the most appropriate service to meet patients' needs.

How to access NHS 111

The service is free to use and available 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

If your condition is an emergency or life-threatening, you should always dial 999.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service, such as minor injuries unit or the out-of-hours GP
  • you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  • you need health or medical information, or reassurance about what to do next.

When you call 111, you will talk to fully trained advisers or nurses, who will assess your symptoms then give you the healthcare advice you need, or direct you straight away to the local service that can help you best.

If it is an emergency, an ambulance will be dispatched immediately without the need for any further assessment.