Before you make an appointment to see your GP, think about what other services might be able to help.
- go to a pharmacy for advice and treatment for minor conditions.
- go to your local minor injury unit or urgent care centre for treatment of strains, sprains and flesh wounds.
- call NHS 111 or visit 111.nhs.uk if you have an urgent medical problem, but you're not sure what to do.
- visit a sexual health service for testing for sexually transmitted infections and contraception advice.
You do not have to make an appointment or register for these services.
Find your nearest GP
Patients in Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire can now book evening and weekend appointments through the GP Access service. We want to make it easier for you to get an appointment with a GP, practice nurse or other health professional at a time that is most convenient to you.
Which days are appointments available?
Through the GP Access service, appointments are available seven days a week, excluding bank holidays.
How do I make an appointment?
In the first instance, contact your GP practice for information about how you can make an appointment.
Will I be able to make an appointment with my own GP?
You will be offered appointments with a GP in your area, though this might not be with your own GP or practice.
GP online services
Did you know you don’t have to wait on the phone to speak to your GP surgery?
By signing up to your practice online you can:
- book and cancel appointments with your doctor or nurse online. Your surgery will choose which appointments can be booked online and you can pick a slot
- order repeat prescriptions online. Some patients have found they save money and time as they don’t need to make a special trip to their surgery to order repeat prescriptions
- look at part of your GP records online. You can look at your records whenever you want, even from the comfort of your home, and find answers to questions you may have without ringing your doctor.
This free to use service aims to make life easier for you. To find out more visit the NHS England website.
If you’re a patient at a practice in Bristol, North Somerset or South Gloucestershire you can now use the new NHS App, a simple and secure way to access a range of NHS services on your smartphone or tablet.
The App can be used to:
- check symptoms
- find out what to do when you need help urgently
- book and manage appointments at your GP practice
- order repeat prescriptions for collection at your practice or a pharmacy
- securely view your GP medical record
- register to be an organ donor
- choose how the NHS uses your data.
It is free and owned by the NHS so you know your personal data is always secure.
The NHS App is for people aged 13 and over who are registered with a GP practice.
If you already use online service at your own practice you can continue to use this, and use the NHS App as well.