Children with additional needs

Information and local support for children with complex health needs or disabilities.

Children with additional needs have a potentially disabling condition or severe chronic illness or have special educational needs (SEN).

This includes children with physical and sensory impairments, learning disabilities and autism, and those who have life-limiting and life-threatening conditions.

There are a wide range of services for children with additional needs and places where you can go for help and advice:

  • 1 Big Database – a comprehensive directory of local services which includes information on national and local organisations offering support, advice and guidance on a range of health and social care and leisure activities
  • Bristol City Council Local Offer – a comprehensive website of information and services for Bristol’s parents and carers and their disabled children and young people
  • Bristol Parent Carers – a support group for parents of children with disabilities and special needs, working in partnership with public authorities to shape services
  • South Glos Parent Carers- a supportive community of parents and carers who work in partnership with public authorities to improve services and support children, young people with additional needs and their families.   

We are working with local councils to develop local help and support available for children and young people with special educational needs or a disability across our area. 

Council Local Offers

Local Offers created by councils. They set out in one place information about provision we expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people who have special education needs or are disabled. This includes those who do not have education, health and care plans.

We are working with South Gloucestershire Council, along with South Glos Parents and Carers, to update the Local Offer in the area. See the Council's Reviewing the Local Offer page to find out more about the feedback we have had and when the Local Offer will be updated. 

You can browse South Gloucestershire’s improved SEND local offer which is available as one of three advice and guidance channels on our new Find information for adults, children and families’ website.

Children with life-limiting and life-threatening conditions

Specialist advice and support for children with life-limiting and life-threatening conditions is available from:

See also:

Children's community health services

Community and palliative care services for children.

NHS continuing care for children

Children and young people with complex health needs may be eligible for NHS continuing care.

Children and young people's emotional health and wellbeing

Children’s community health services provide a wide range of care and support for young people

Transitioning to adult health services

Young People may need continued support from health services once they are 18.